WEEK OF NOV. 25
* Holiday Soup and Songs: A McKinney Center Fundraiser featuring Jonesborough Yarn Exchange and the Jonesborough Novelty Band in their annual Christmas Caroling Sing-Along will be held at 6 p.m. at the McKinney Center, 103 Franklin Ave., Jonesborough. All who attend will choose their own unique handmade bowl to enjoy an all-you-can-eat, homemade soup buffet. Half a dozen different soups will be available. Tickets are $25 and will support two local entities: the Jonesborough Yarn Exchange Radio Show and the McKinney Center’s outreach program. Purchase tickets online at bit.ly/soupandsongs, call (423) 753-1010, or stop by the Historic Jonesborough Visitors Center. Seating is limited to 150.
* The Junior League of Kingsport hosts Jingle & Gingerbread: a gingerbread house decorating drop-in event featuring a mini craft market and photos with Santa from 1 to 8 p.m. Gingerbread house kits, freshly baked by Patty Cakes by Patsy, are $15 and come with everything needed to build and decorate a house! Gingerbread kits will be available at the door for purchase to decorate at the event or to take home with you. Admission to decorate and shop includes snacks and hot chocolate. Admission tickets are $5; children under 12 are admitted free! For more information, visit http://buytickets.at/juniorleagueofkingsport/209749.
* The Town of Wise will host a Tree Lighting Ceremony at Gateway Garden at 7 p.m. Refreshments compliments of Town of Wise churches and Reno’s.
* Pro-Art presents John Hardy’s “A Christmas Carol” at 7 p.m. at Lee Theatre in Pennington Gap, Va. Visit www.proartva.org.
* Erwin’s Christmas Tree Lighting festivities return for a 16th year. Attractions will include a Santa’s Village in Erwin Town Hall with activities including live music, marshmallow roasting, fresh cut Fraser fir Christmas tree or wreath sales, old-fashioned horse-drawn wagon rides, a kiddie train ride, a live nativity scene, community caroling and more. Lighting of the Christmas tree takes place at 7 p.m. and will be followed by the reading of “ ’Twas the Night Before Christmas” and a visit with Santa. Free photos with Santa Claus will be available, and the first 100 children will also receive a special gift from Santa. Call (423) 743-3000 for more details.
* The Kingsport Farmers Market annual Christmas Show will be held from 6:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the Farmers Market building next to Food City in downtown Kingsport. Local farmers will be attending the show selling various meats and produce, along with over 50 crafters selling their own handmade, unique crafts from around our area. If you need more information, call (423) 571-4615.
* Exchange Place will ring in the holidays and the winter season with its annual Christmas in the Country celebration from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Exchange Place Living History Farm, 4812 Orebank Road. There is no admission fee. The Yule Log Ceremony, a community tradition, will be held near the Cook’s Cabin beginning around 4:15 p.m. and will conclude the day’s festivities.
* The Rogersville Arts Council Holiday Market will run from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. in Occasions On The Square in Historic Downtown Rogersville. Bring the family! The event is child-friendly with a youth-focused activity, where they can create their own masterpieces to keep for themselves or to give as gifts. To encourage young artists, there is a student coloring contest with prizes awarded. Yummy treats will be on hand for the kid in all of us.
* The Johnson City Christmas Parade, featuring a “12 Days of Christmas” theme, will be held at 10:30 a.m. The parade will start on the East Tennessee State University campus and will cross University Parkway and travel onto West Walnut Street. Turning onto Buffalo Street, the parade will cross East State of Franklin Road and continue down East Main Street. The route will then turn onto Colonial Way and conclude in the Old Burley Lot at the corner of Legion Street and East State of Franklin.
* The Christmas in Olde Jonesborough series continues with “Doggone Christmas” from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Bring your furry friends for pictures with Santa, a treat station and be sure to check out the pet-friendly items at the Christmas Market. At 1 p.m., contests include Ugliest Christmas Dog Sweater, Best Holiday Costume and Pet/Owner Lookalike. Donations will also be accepted for the Washington County Humane Society, so please bring something to add to the back of the sleigh.Visit www.jbochristmas.com.
* The Elf Shop at The Loft Yoga Studio, 207 E. Main St., Rogersville, will be open from 2-4 p.m. and will feature a Christmas shopping experience for children to purchase gifts from $1-$5, with wrapping included. Youngsters can also write a letter to Santa or drop off their letter in the special North Pole mailbox. With return address included, Santa will send a reply. Children will also have an opportunity make a Christmas ornament. For more information, call (423) 293-4272.
* The Rogersville Christmas Parade and Tree Lighting return this weekend. Parade lineup begins at 2:30 p.m. at Rogersville Middle School with the parade at 4 p.m. The theme is “Christmas Memories.” The tree lighting will be held at 5:30 p.m., Dec. 1, at Rogersville Town Square. Call (423) 272-2186.
* Friends of the Library in Blountville will host the Blountville Christmas Market from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. at the Blountville Methodist Church. There will be 45 vendors, children’s crafts, a quilt show, food vendors and Derry Inn tours throughout the day. There’ll be a chance to visit with Santa from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
* Bridge Home No Kill Animal Rescue will hold a special holiday event featuring pet photos with Santa and a pet-centric holiday bazaar from noon to 3 p.m. at the shelter. All pets coming for photos must be up to date on vaccinations. Proceeds benefit the shelter.
* The Intercity Ballet Theatre invites moms and daughters to join them for Tea with the Sugar Plum Fairy and her friends from 2 to 3:30 p.m. at the reNEWed Coffee Company, 213 E. Center St., Kingsport. Tickets can be purchased at Centre for the Performing Arts, 727 Eastman Road, or at Holloway Dance Studio, 2605 E. Center St. Or call (423) 246-2199 or (423) 246-8541.
* The Downtown Kingsport Christmas Parade and Tree Lighting will take place after sunset. The floats will be glowing with Christmas lights as they travel through downtown and around Church Circle. The festivities will get underway with family fun beginning at 2 p.m. The Christmas Parade begins at 6 p.m., followed by the tree lighting ceremony at Church Circle.
* The Wise Christmas Parade will be held at 2 p.m. in the town of Wise.
* The Colors of Christmas combines the Holiday Tour of Homes and Progressive Dinner in Historic Jonesborough. On the tour, you’ll have a once in a lifetime sneak peek at historic homes and structures. The tour spotlights the architectural, historical, and cultural heritage of our region. Each location on the tour has a unique story rich with history. You’ll also enjoy sounds of the season with live music featured in various locations during portions of the evening. Visitors may choose the tour only, dinner only or combine both. The tour is $15 and will be from 3 to 7 p.m. with a shuttle continually running the route. The dinner is $85 and will be at 4:30 or 7 p.m. Dinner guests will enjoy appetizers in the Historic Inns of Jonesborough from 4:30 to 5:15 p.m. or 7 to 7:45 p.m. before being transported to the dinner location. Reservations strongly recommended. Purchase tickets at Jonesborough.com/tickets or call (423) 753-1010.
* East Tennessee State University’s Holiday Choral Concert, “And on Earth, Peace,” will be feature two performances at 4 and 7:30 p.m. at Munsey Memorial United Methodist Church, 201 E. Market St. in Johnson City. The ETSU Chorale, Greyscale, BucsWorth men’s choir, East Tennessee Belles women’s choir and ETSU Faculty Brass Quintet will all perform. Seating is limited for both performances, and advance ticket purchases are recommended. Tickets are $10 for general admission and $5 for students, and are available online at www.etix.com/ticket/v/14003/etsu-department-of-music.
* The Sounds of the Season Holiday Concert will be held at 7 p.m. at Occasions On the Square in Rogersville. Tickets are $5 and can be purchased at the door.
* Doyle Lawson and Quicksilver will present a Holiday Homecoming Concert at 7 p.m. at the Cameo Theater, 701 State St., Bristol, Virginia. Tickets are $25. Call (423) 878-6160 or visit www.doylelawson.com.