IRON HORSE: Ogden holds off Ben Lomond, wins 2-OT rivalry thriller

Thursday , October 12, 2017 - 11:22 PM

RYAN COMER, Standard-Examiner Staff

OGDEN — Three straight winless seasons. Three straight losses in the Iron Horse game.

None of that matters now.

Ogden ended its three-plus season losing streak earlier in the season, and Thursday night against Ben Lomond at Weber State University’s Stewart Stadium, the Tigers ended their losing streak to the Scots with a 20-14 double-overtime victory.

Jeremy Jackson sealed the victory by stripping Ben Lomond wide receiver Tre Pearson and recovering the fumble.

“I saw (Pearson) coming out and I had to set the edge. I stuck my hand out, I reached it, I grabbed it, and it’s mine,” Jackson said.

“Senior year, won the Iron Horse, and we bring it back, baby.”

A three-win season may not seem like a success, but for Ogden coach Erik Thompson, it is.

“Coming in, these guys hadn’t won a game in a long time, and we specifically made it a point that we needed to beat Bonneville and Ben Lomond,” Thompson said. “That hadn’t been done in 36 years in the same season, so we did something that hasn’t been done in 36 years.

“I’m really proud of the kids. We’ve had a lot of injuries and a lot of adversity we’ve had to fight through.”

IRON HORSE LINKS:  Action Photos | Feature PhotosGame broadcast

He’s not satisfied because he believes the team can do better, but he feels gratitude for the players’ efforts.

“More than anything, kids created memories that they’ll never forget,” Thompson said. “That’s, in my opinion, the No. 1 reason to play high school sports.”

Ogden took the lead in double-overtime following a trick play.

Facing third-and-10 from the Ben Lomond 25, quarterback Carson White threw a lateral to Aden Cleverley out in the flat. Cleverley then connected with Irving Gastelum at the 4. Gastelum managed to tip-toe the edge of the sideline and stretch out to make the catch.

“That pass wasn’t very good,” Cleverley admitted, adding that it was only his second completion of the season. “Irving Gastelum made a play on it and I was in shock. He’s an amazing player. That was insane.”

Thompson said he felt like his play calling had gotten too conservative before that play.

“That play always looks great in practice and it’s one that most teams wouldn’t expect,” Thompson said. “We usually throw it a lot better than that in practice, but I guess there wouldn’t be such great memories and such a great ending if it wasn’t a hard catch.”

Two plays after Gastelum’s heroics, Rhyle Hanson punched the ball into the end zone for his second touchdown of the game. The point-after attempt was no good, giving Ben Lomond a chance to win with a touchdown and an extra point, a chance Jackson ended with his strip.

Ben Lomond forced overtime after Zander Cafall ran for an 8-yard touchdown with 4:03 left in the fourth quarter.

The two teams then traded empty possessions before going to overtime tied 14-14.

Ben Lomond turned the ball over on downs without getting a first down on its possession of the first overtime, but Ogden missed a 32-yard field goal attempt in its series.

Ogden had a chance to build a two-score advantage in the fourth quarter but missed a 36-yard field goal with 6:03 left.

The Tigers got off to a fast start, driving for a touchdown on their opening possession of the game. Hanson ran for a 3-yard touchdown with 6:11 left in the first quarter.

Ogden looked poised to add to its lead when Chase Butler recovered a fumble and returned it to the Ben Lomond 15 with 7:43 left in the second quarter, but the Tigers promptly fumbled the ball on their first play.

Ben Lomond evened the score just before halftime. Scots quarterback DeVante Calderon rushed for a 6-yard touchdown with 26 seconds left in the half.

The Scots drove inside the Ogden 25 three times in the first half but came away with only seven points.

After a scoreless third quarter, Ogden reclaimed the lead early in the fourth. With 11:13 left, White found Sam Lawrence for an 11-yard touchdown.

A theme throughout the game was Ogden lining up for field goals from inside its own territory in punting situations.

“We’ve been doing that all year,” Thompson said. “Just got to know the rules. In high school, after you kick a field goal, wherever the ball lands is where it’s at. We usually try to kick it out of bounds and unfortunately we didn’t get it out of bounds tonight.

“You can just kick a field goal a lot farther than a punt so it’s a good weapon to have in high school.”

Ogden finished with a Region 11 record of 2-3, tying Park City for fourth place. The top-four teams advance to 4-A state tournament. Thompson said region representatives met this week to discuss how the tie will be broken but that he is unsure what the final verdict was. They can either break the tie based on head-to-head — which would favor Park City because it defeated Ogden — or they can hold a play-in game between the two teams.

Ogden and Ben Lomond each have one game remaining. Ogden plays at Bear River next Wednesday while Ben Lomond hosts Green Canyon.


STANSBURY PARK — Bonneville got on the board first, but Stansbury responded with 35 straight points to take control and clinch the Region 11 title.

Aaron Eberhard booted a 27-yard field goal to give the Lakers (4-5, 3-2 Region 11) a 3-0 first-quarter lead.

Then the Stallions’ power run game took over and wore down the Bonneville defense. Stansbury (6-3, 5-0) scored five straight touchdowns on plays of 32, 57, 23, 80 and 79 yards.

In the fourth quarter, Bonneville blocked a Stansbury punt and Trent Citte recovered the ball in the endzone for the Lakers’ only touchdown.

Contact Standard-Examiner sports reporter Ryan Comer at Follow him on Twitter at @RyanComerSe and on Facebook.

Sign up for e-mail news updates.

Get the Standard-Examiner Advantage.