10-year-old airlifted to hospital after being burned near Monte Cristo

Saturday , August 12, 2017 - 8:09 PM

JACOB SCHOLL, Standard-Examiner Staff

A 10-year-old boy was airlifted to the hospital Saturday afternoon after being badly burned while camping with his family. 

Police were dispatched to an explosion call at a campground near Monte Cristo around 5:26 p.m., according to Cpt. Paul Lund with the Weber Fire District.

When responders arrived, they learned that the boy and a 46-year-old man were burned.

According to Lund, the burns occurred when another boy tried to start a campfire with rubbing alcohol and accidentally sprayed the two, causing serious burns to them both. 

The boy suffered second-degree burns on 30-40 percent of his body and was airlifted to the University of Utah Hospital in Salt Lake City, Lund said. His condition was unknown as of Saturday evening. 

The man also suffered second-degree burns to his right arm and the right side of his neck, but drove himself to a nearby hospital, according to Lund. The man’s condition was also unknown as of Saturday evening. 

University of Utah AirMed, Weber Fire District and the Weber County Sheriff’s Office responded to this incident. 

Contact digital producer Jacob Scholl at jscholl@standard.net or follow him on Twitter @Jacob_Scholl.

Sign up for e-mail news updates.

×