Roy man accused of punching, murdering 1-month-old baby

Tuesday , September 12, 2017 - 11:24 AM11 comments

NADIA PFLAUM, Standard-Examiner staff

Editor’s Note: This story has been updated to reflect additional information as of 3:11 pm. 

ROY — A 22-year-old man has been accused of aggravated murder after allegedly punching a 1-month-old infant who died in the hospital Sept. 8.

Matthew Daniel Graves, of Roy, allegedly “blacked out in rage” on Sept. 7 and punched the baby, a probable cause statement filed in the case says. Court records didn’t specify what Graves’ relationship with the child was, but Roy Police public information officer Matthew Gwynn confirmed that Graves and the infant resided in the same home.

Graves is charged with aggravated murder, a first-degree felony; causing or permitting a child to be exposed to a controlled substance, a third-degree felony; and use or possession of drug paraphernalia, a Class A misdemeanor.

Graves was arrested after Roy police were dispatched Sept. 7 to a home on S. 1950 West on a report that an infant wasn’t breathing, court records say. The child was originally taken to Ogden Regional Hospital, then taken to Primary Children’s Hospital by medical helicopter.

Doctors told police the infant sustained “severe, non-accidental trauma to include huge fractures to the right side of the head, massive brain swelling and hemorrhage, fixed and dilated pupils, tremendous soft tissue damage, separation of the vertebrae in the neck and loss of oxygen to the brain,” the probable cause statement says.

Police say when they interviewed Graves, he said he punched the baby repeatedly in the head because it was crying, the court record says.

“Matthew made comments that he is a monster, that he has lost all hope in life and is going to lose everything,” police said in the probable cause affidavit said.

Graves’ controlled substance and drug paraphernalia charges were filed after police executed a search warrant at his home and vehicle, the probable cause statement says. Baggies with drug residue, as well as a tin foil pipe, were found in places where children would have been able to reach them, the court record states.

Graves is being held without bail in Weber County Jail. In addition to the new charges, he has a 2016 conviction for unlawful possession of a firearm and is currently on probation, the court records say.

Sign up for e-mail news updates.