A local board will now determine how these funds will be distributed among the emergency food and shelter programs run by local service agencies in our area. This has been done in the past with organizations such as Meals on Wheels, church-based food pantries, the Salvation Army and Family Promise of Greater Kingsport.
Under the terms of the grant, local agencies chosen to receive funds must:
1. Be private, voluntary nonprofits or units of government.
2. Be eligible to receive federal funds.
3. Have an accounting system.
4. Practice non-discrimination.
5. Have demonstrated the capability to deliver emergency food and/or shelter programs.
6) If they are a private voluntary organization, have a voluntary board.
According to a press release from the United Way of Greater Kingsport, qualifying agencies are urged to apply for these funds.
Agencies are asked to contact Becca Sutphen at (423) 378-3409 ext. 13 or by email at [email protected] for an application. Completed applications must be submitted by 4:30 p.m. on May 22, 2020 to the United Way of Greater Kingsport (301 Louis St., Suite 201, Kingsport, TN 37660).