• MLB PITCH, HIT & RUN competition, hosted by the Boys & Girls Club of Johnson City/Washington County, will be held May 5 at 2 p.m. Free and open to boys and girls ages 7-14, the event features four age groups: 7-8, 9-10, 11-12 and 13-14. Participants have the chance to advance through four levels of competition, including Team Championships at major league ballparks and the national finals during the 2019 MLB All-Star week. Register online at pitchhitrun.leagueapps.com/events/1034575. For more information, visit PitchHitRun.com or contact Tim Morgan at [email protected]
• VIRGINIA-WISE MEN’S BASKETBALL summer camps will be held in June and August. The team camp is June 14-16, the Individual Camp is June 17-21 and the Elite Camp is Aug. 3-4. Go online at uvawisebasketballcamps.com for more information.
• TWRA TENNESSEE SAFE BOATING Course, a two-night class offered by the Tri-Cities Boating Club, will be held Tuesday, March 26 and Thursday, March 28, from 5:30-8 p.m. each night, at the Northeast State library, Room L106. The TWRA exam for a Tennessee Boat Operators Permit will be given at the conclusion of Thursday’s class. Individuals passing the test will be issued a Boating Safety Education Certificate, which is required for all boat and personal watercraft operators born after Jan. 1, 1989. The class is free to the public, but to take the exam and get a Boat Operator Permit, you must purchase ahead of time and bring with you TWRA’s Type 600 Boating Safety Exam Permit. Exam permits may be purchased for $10 at any TWRA hunting/fishing license vendor. For more information, call Clarke Lucas at (423) 538-4643.
• 37th BOWL FOR KIDS’ SAKE, a fundraising event for Big Brothers Big Sisters of East Tennessee, is coming up in the spring at bowling lanes in our region. Participants form teams and raise money through a fundraising page at BowlForKidsToday.org. Events in our area will be held Friday, April 12 at the Bass Pro Shop in Bristol and Saturday, April 13 at Warpath Lanes in Kingsport. Company or civic organization sponsorships are available. To learn more, go online at BowlforKidsToday.org.
• ANNUAL KIDS FISHING DAY, for kids 12-under, will be held Saturday, April 27, from noon-3 p.m., at Natural Tunnel State Park, 1420 Natural Tunnel Pkwy., Duffield. Registration will start at 10 a.m. Please bring your own fishing tackle. Visit the Natural Tunnel State Park Facebook page to learn more about events at the park.
• PINE OAKS LADIES ORGANIZATION nine-hole golf league begins Tuesday, April 2 at 9 a.m. Golfers should meet at 8:30 a.m. in the Pine Oaks clubhouse for a 9 a.m. tee-off. POLO league play runs through October, and all levels are welcome. An introductory meeting for all members and anyone interested in playing will be held at the Pine Oaks clubhouse on Tuesday. For more information, call or text Cheryl Goulds at (423) 384-5192 or email [email protected]
• LONESOME PINE COUNTRY CLUB is offering golf lessons for children ages 8-12. Chris Stacy and David Harvey will hold a five-series get-golf-ready lesson package for $75. The package is available to young golfers of all abilities but focused toward novice and beginning juniors. Call (276) 523-0739 for more information.
• TUSCULUM FOOTBALL fundraising golf tournament will be held Friday, April 19, beginning at 1 p.m., at Link Hills Country Club in Greeneville. The cost is $50 per person or $200 per four-person teams for the captain’s choice event. Tournament application forms are available at the Tusculum Athletic Department in Rankin Hall on the Greeneville campus. For more information, contact Coach Odom at (423) 636-7459 or email at [email protected]
• TENNESSEE STATE PARKS will host free park ranger-guided spring hikes in all 56 of its parks on Saturday, March 23. At Warriors Path in Kingsport, a Spring Wildflower Walk will take place from 9 a.m. until noon (meet at the park’s mountain bike trail parking area, at the end of Freeman Road). At Sycamore Shoals in Elizabethton, a Spring Hike will be held from 10-11 a.m. (meet at the Trailhead Kiosk). Hikers are urged to prepare for the weather, have sturdy footwear and bring water and snacks. Some may want to bring hiking sticks.
• CRUMLEY HOUSE Joggin’ for the Noggin’ 5K will be held Saturday, March 23, beginning at 10 a.m., at 300 Urbana Road, Limestone. The Crumley House is a nonprofit brain injury rehabilitation center providing services to individuals and families who sustained a traumatic brain injury. Register online at athlinks.com/event/joggin-for-the-noggin-5k-136014; fee is $25 until March 16 and $30 from March 17 through race day. To learn more or to provide sponsorship, call the Crumley House at (423) 257-3644.
• MAKE-A-WISH 5K Run/Walk, hosted by the Tusculum Pioneer Student-Athlete Advisory Committee (PSAAC), will be held Saturday, April 6, beginning at 9 a.m., on the university’s Greeneville campus. The cost is $25 for participants 18 and older and $15 for participants 17 and younger as well as Tusculum students with a valid TU ID. Teams of five may sign up as a group for $100. All proceeds of the event will benefit the Make-A-Wish Foundation. Registration for the race begins at 7:45 a.m., at the outdoor basketball courts located between Katherine Hall and the Nichols Tennis Complex, the day of the race. Early registration is also available online at the PSAAC Make-A-Wish 5K Run/Walk by contacting Jenna Restivo in the Tusculum Athletic Department at (423) 636-7300 ext.-5291 or email at [email protected]
• THE DEVILS DASH 5K, a fundraiser for the Gate City Big Blue Booster Club, will be held Saturday, April 20, beginning at 9 a.m., in downtown Gate City. Age groups offered are 10-under, 11-14, 15-19, 20-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59, 60-69 and 70-up. Entry fee is $25. Register online at runsignup.com (search Devils Dash 5K), email [email protected] to have a registration form mailed, or pick up a registration form in the GCHS office.
• 11th AMAZINGRACE 5K and Mile Races, presented by First Baptist Church — Kingsport, will be held on Sunday, May 5, in downtown Kingsport, with the start and finish lines near the FBC campus on Church Circle. Proceeds from the race will benefit the Providence Medical Clinic. The certified-course 1-mile race will begin at 5:15 p.m. and the certified-course 5K will begin at 6 p.m. Professional race management and timing services will be provided by We Run Events. For more information, contact Allison Burns at [email protected] or go online at fbcamazingrace5k.com
• LAUREL RUN ASCENT, an 11-mile trail race and part of the Skelton Law Racing Series, will be held Saturday, April 13, beginning at 8 a.m., at Laurel Run Park in Church Hill. The event is part of the SFTC Long Distance Series, a SFTC Trail Series Competition and a SFTC King & Queen Competition. Contact Race Director Mark Skelton at (423) 272-4812 or via email at [email protected] for more information.
• AMIS MILL 10K, part of the Skelton Law Racing Series, will be held Saturday, May 11, beginning at 8 a.m., at Amis Mill Eatery in Rogersville. The event is a SFTC King & Queen Competition and the RRCA Tennessee State 10K Championship. Contact Race Director Mark Skelton at (423) 272-4812 or via email at [email protected] for more information.
• WOLF RUN, a 7-mile trail race and part of the Skelton Law Racing Series, will be held Tuesday, July 16, beginning at 6:30 p.m., at Bays Mountain Park in Kingsport. The race is a Fun Fest event as well as a SFTC Trail Series Competition and a SFTC King & Queen Competition. Contact Race Director Mark Skelton at (423) 272-4812 or via email at [email protected] for more information.
• BAYS MOUNTAIN TRAIL RACE, a 15-miler and part of the Skelton Law Racing Series, will be held Saturday, Sept. 14, beginning at 8 a.m., at Bays Mountain Park in Kingsport. The event is part of the SFTC Long Distance Series, a SFTC Trail Series Competition and a SFTC King & Queen Competition. Contact Race Director Mark Skelton at (423) 272-4812 or via email at [email protected] for more information.
• PHIPPS BEND RIVER RUN, a 10-mile trail race and part of the Skelton Law Racing Series, will be held Saturday, Oct. 12, beginning at 8 a.m., at Phipps Bend in Surgoinsville. The event is part of the SFTC Long Distance Series, a SFTC Trail Series Competition and a SFTC King & Queen Competition. Contact Race Director Mark Skelton at (423) 272-4812 or via email at [email protected] for more information.
• MILLIGAN MEN’S SOCCER Summer Day Camps, for boys and girls ages 6-14, will be held June 3-6 and July 8-11, from 9 a.m.-3:30 p.m. on the Milligan campus. Fee is $165 per week. Registration forms are available online at milliganbuffs.com, and checks can be made payable to Milligan Soccer, P.O. Box 500, Milligan College, TN 37682. Call the men’s soccer at (423) 461-8469 or email coach Kyle Findlay at [email protected] to learn more.
• ETSU BUCS SOCCER ACADEMY camps for male soccer players are coming up this summer at Summers Taylor Soccer Complex. The half-day (ages 5-14, 8:45 a.m.-noon; cost: $145) and full-day camps (ages 7-14, 8:45 a.m.-4 p.m.; cost: $220) are set for June 10-13 and the Elite Residential Camp is set for July 17-20 (ages 12-up; cost: $375 for commuters and $475 for residential). For more information, go online at bucssocceracademy.com or contact Josh Scott at [email protected] or call (423) 439-8437.
• MOUNTAIN EMPIRE TENNIS ASSOCIATION USTA Adult Competitive League runs March 23 through May 4. For more information, email [email protected]
• MOUNTAIN EMPIRE TENNIS ASSOCIATION USTA Mixed Doubles League runs May 18-July 6. For more information, email [email protected]
• MOUNTAIN EMPIRE TENNIS ASSOCIATION USTA Combo League runs Aug. 17-Sept. 28. For more information, email [email protected]
• MOUNTAIN EMPIRE TENNIS Association has several ways to get involved in tennis this spring and summer. Among the META offerings: Tennis on Tap at Metro Park in Johnson City, May 2-30, 7-8:30 p.m., at Ida Stone Jones Center in Bristol, Tenn., June 6-27, 7-8:30 p.m., at Borden Park in Kingsport, July 3-25, 7-8:30 p.m. and at Liberty Bell in Johnson City, Aug. 1-29, 7-10 p.m.; Memorial Day Mixer, Borden Park in Kingsport, May 27, 9 a.m.-noon; Fourth of July Mixer at Ida Stone Jones Center in Bristol, Tenn., July 4, 9 a.m.-noon; Labor Day Mixer at Liberty Bell in Johnson City, Sept. 2, 9 a.m.-noon; and META Social Tennis in June, July and August. For more information about META, email [email protected]
• FUN FEST FAST4 TOURNAMENT, a Mountain Empire Tennis Association event, will be held July 19 at Borden Park in Kingsport. For more information, email [email protected]
• ETSU VOLLEYBALL CAMPS, conducted by coach Benavia Jenkins, will be held this spring and summer. The camps are open to male and female players with the exception of the College Prep camp. The camps are: Setter/Libero Positional Camp (6-9 p.m., May 22, ages 14-18, cost $100); Attackers (Middle/Pins) Positional Camp (6-9 p.m., May 23, ages 14-18, $100); College Prep (July 13-15, girls ages 14-18, $330 for residential camp, $300 for commuters); All-Skills Day Camp (July 29-30, ages 12-18, $150); and Youth Day Camp (9 a.m.-noon, July 29-30, ages 6-12, $125). For more information, go online at BenaviaVolleyballCamps.com.